Monday, March 14, 2011

"Cake Head"

Sooooooooo, I had a minor catastrophe last night.

During the day I decided to do some research on washing my baby dreads and retwisting them myself.

From what I read, apple cider vinegar rinses are good for exfoliation. It removes dandruff, fungus, and other build-up and since it's slightly acidic, it also helps restore the scalp's pH. Further, I read that baking soda, since it's mildly abrasive helps strip your hair of excess oils without leaving it completely dry...and they are both CHEAP!!

My "no-poo" movement went well...(Shampoo can lead to hair damage! Did you know that some shampoos are used to de-ice airplanes? Why would we want something so strong in our head?)...

BUT, then I tried to retwist my dreads with a honey and lemon juice mixture.

It ended up being a sticky mess!!

I thought that if I sat under the dryer for a really long time that the honey would just absorb into my scalp and hair...
...that didn't work (lol)

So, after trying to keep the honey idea alive for long enough, I decided to just rinse it out and deal with the consequences, which didn't end up being too bad.

All I had to do was wring my dreads out of the water and blow dry them.

And now they're back :)

They are a little puffy, but I'm going to retwist them tonight...with lock and twist gel (lol)

Catastrophe solved, thank God.

1 comment:

  1. there is a book, that you will like. its called thank GOD I'M Natural... u can probably buy it at barnes and noble and if not, they can order the book, and have it delieved to the store. it tells you how to maintain natural and dreds. Its pretty good. it will give you tricks and other ways to maintain your dreds

    ReplyDelete

dollydylesiady

My photo
...I'm just a reflection of Him. "He is the truth and He is so real and I love the way that He makes me feel...His light it shines so bright, I wouldn't lie."