Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Whose Dreams Are You Chasing??

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want" -Philippians 4:12

"Contentment."

The world teaches us to want, get, and then want some more...and while there's nothing wrong with wanting all that life has to offer, there is something wrong with wanting just for the sole purpose of being considered "normal."

Never spending time with yourself clogs your perception...you'll find yourself liking things you've never liked, doing things you've never done, and being someone who you never intended to be...that is if you spend all of your time around people, forsaking the personal time that is needed for growth, development, and gaining full familiarity with yourself.


Prime example: according to popular culture, somewhere around the age of 15 (or even earlier nowadays), girls and boys will grow out of the "cootie" stage and start acting upon their attractions to one another...fast forward 5 or 6 years, these "normal" young adults are now on the fast track to dating and within the following few years will be married.

But what about the people who are happy alone? Are they not normal? Do they have a problem? Should they be worried?

At one point, I thought so...I assumed that because everyone around me was either in a relationship or desiring one, I should be too...so I found myself getting into "situations" that did nothing more than highlight the fact that I was ahead of my time and simply trying to "keep up with the Jones'" per say.

Various sources in various ways tell me: "you go to college, you meet a guy, you get married"...and that's life.

But who is the person who created that standard? Who voted on making "happiness is directly associated with courtship" into a law?

Lately I've been on my "getting acquainted with myself" tip and that mindset has allowed me to purge myself of societal opinions and the opinions of my friends and acquaintances...released from the mindset of accommodating everyone elses' desires for my life, I've been able to conclude (amongst other things) that "keeping company" is not what I want for my life right now...I've also concluded that regardless of whether that's considered normal or not, I'm perfectly normal.


I've said all that not to bash relationships or people who desire them...not to take a feminist stand...not to persuade you to feel the same way...for no reason other than to push the agenda of being true to yourself.

God "FEARFULLY and WONDERFULLY" made you. (Psalm 139:14)
The desires you have, He put in your heart.
There is nothing wrong with you because your life is not the spitting image of the people around you; you're in a lane of your own, driving a car that He custom-designed for you.

You don't have to compare yourself to other people, because they are referenced as "other" for a reason...they aren't you.

You are the one who determines what "happy" means for your life and even if you're the only one who understands that happiness, at least you'll be happy (LOL)

Over this break we have from school, work, and our other obligations, I encourage you to take time to find yourself and to find out what you really want. It's so easy to confuse ourselves with other people because although we're with ourselves more than we are with others, some of us regard others more than we regard ourselves.

I don't know about you, but I never want to end up living a life that--upon evaluation--I realize is a mere construction made of other people's bricks and mortar.

Whose dreams are you chasing? Yours or ones that someone else dreamed for you?

"You were born an original, don't die a copy."

I hope I helped someone in someway :-)
BE BLESSED!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

dollydylesiady

My photo
...I'm just a reflection of Him. "He is the truth and He is so real and I love the way that He makes me feel...His light it shines so bright, I wouldn't lie."